See, things like this just annoy me. I understand that artists grow and mature (or... un-mature?). I know the need for change and not staying in your own little niche. I don't generally see artists as selling out by trying to go more mainstream.
But UGH! Why, Shakira, whyyyyy?
I love you so much! I respect you and thank you for speaking honestly about premarital sex, abortion, questioning religion, etc. when I was growing up. My little feminist ears perked up and my brain was on overdrive just trying to make sense of it all.
And now this?! I feel betrayed...
*Video note: Embedding is disabled on the official video which has better quality and doesn't have the annoying seconds in the beginning. Watch that instead if you'd like.
ETA: The video I embedded has been removed, but you can still watch/listen to the video linked above.
I don't even know what to make of this.
1) Why do you look like Beyonce in those outfits with those dance moves?
2) Are you trying to poke fun at the overly-sexual-for-no-reason videos? Or are you totally serious? (I really hope it's the former...)
3) Are the fake, long, red nails really necessary?
4) The song is annoying, which doesn't help anything.
Granted, Shakira's English music has never been as good as her Spanish music, in my opinion. But geez louise...
Am I alone in this? Am I totally not getting something here?
- At Wed Aug 05, 03:25:00 PM Vertigo said...
I will have to agree with you on this one. I have Shakira's first two albums (Piez Descarsos and Donde estan...) but her resent music really does not compare. I think it is a shame when good artists have the need to be sexual when their own talent is more than enough. I haven't listen to Shakira since the 'Donde estan..." days.
- At Wed Aug 05, 08:55:00 PM abby jean said...
THANK YOU. i hadn't seen the video, but i'd been listening to the song and really genuinely trying to like it, because i like her so much and have liked her older stuff. but... no. i'm glad i'm not alone!
- At Thu Aug 13, 12:42:00 PM Jamie said...
The video is almost hypnotically bad. I keep watching, trying to decipher, like you said, whether or not it's real or very subtle satire.